From Information about Isaak, Brock University's Sakai-Based LMS
In Site Info, you can add a tool that has been pre-configured to provide access to a service/solution that is external to Isaak-Sakai or even Brock University, but behaves as if it were a Sakai-based tool. This integration is done through a protocol called LTI, an independent standard for web-based applications developed by IMS. When site members select this tool while in Isaak-Sakai course sites, they’ll access the external tool within the course site or in a separate tab/window.
The External Tools listed have been reviewed and pre-configured by either the CPI or ITS. Where an agreement about the care of student information is required, one will be completed before the tool is offered to instructors to add in Isaak-Sakai course sites. Requests to add External Tools may be submitted via an online form to the CPI.
 Current External Tools
This page is a listing of approved external tools that Isaak-Sakai can use to link via LTI.
- Library - Research Guide - The LibGuide tool was created to allow Instructors easy access to their specific course or departmental Library Research guides without direct liaison intervention in their course sites.
- Campus Store Books - A tool in Isaak/Sakai that will automatically forward your students to the appropriate Campus Store resources for your course. This includes textbooks, course packs, lab equipment, etc. Please note that these resources will still need to be communicated to the Campus Store as per the normal Course Adoptions process before they are available in this tool. See https://kumu.brocku.ca/sakai/Campus_Store_Books for more information. Ensure you check "Add Site Link" if you want the tool to be visible in your site on the left tool menu.
- BluePulse - Bluepulse is an adaptive social feedback platform that works in concert with instructors who are open to making incremental improvements in their teaching practices and the understanding whats going in an on-or-off-line classroom in real time. (External)
- Course Readings (Brock University)
- O365 - Office MIX
- Piazza - Piazza is a free online forum like tool that can be integrated in your Isaak/Sakai course sites to manage student Q&A. This tool is hosted externally by a third party vendor.
- Brock Wikis (Kumu)
 Adding an External Tool
To complete the procedures in this article, you must be assigned a role having the necessary permissions. This often excludes Students and TAs by default. To determine your role, follow the directions in Participant roles.
For a basic understanding of roles and permissions, see Permissions and roles.
Using the Site Info tool, you can add, edit, or remove the tools on the menubar. To do so, follow the steps below:
- In your site, from the menubar on the left, click Site Info.
- Click Edit Tools from the grey menu across the top.
- Below the list of existing Sakai tools, there is a link labelled Plugin Tools
- From the dropdown menu, select the tool you are looking for.
- Click Continue at the bottom of the page.
- Confirm the selection and title and click Continue at the bottom of the page
- On the confirmation screen, you will see a list of your site's tools and any changes you've made. If the list is accurate, click Finish.
Brock University has a number of relevant policies and procedures about the handling of the type of information the LMS contains and its use by third parties:
- Best Practices
These policies and procedures reflect The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) which has been a part of Ontario legislation since 1988. On June 10, 2006, this act was amended to apply to the province's universities. It is important to note that many uses of LTI are internal to Brock University, and in this case the concerns are almost exclusively about the handling of private information, not disclosure and due care by other parties.