From Information about Isaak, Brock University's Sakai-Based LMS
When you add participants or students to a worksite, either automatically or manually, they will have Drop Box folders by default (if the Drop Box tool was specified when the site was first created).
 Viewing Drop Boxes and their contents
To view the Drop Boxes available for a course site or project site, in the menubar, click Drop Box. You will see a list of Drop Boxes and/or folders containing them. To view the contents of a Drop Box, click the black triangles to the left of "Title", or click the folder icon to the left of the name of the folder or drop box you wish to expand. (If a folder contains any items not currently being displayed, a plus sign will appear on the folder icon.) Instructors will see an orange star highlighting Drop Box folders that have recently been updated. To open a Drop Box or folder, click its name.
 Uploading Files
Adding Files to the Drop Box.
To add files via the web follow these steps:
- Click the "Add" button beside the folder with your username.
- Choose "Upload Files".
- Click "Browse" and locate the file on your computer in resulting window.
- Press "Upload Files Now" once you have located the file.
- Done: You should now see the file in your folder. You are welcome to click the file to confirm it works or modify it via the "Actions" button.
For more information please see Working with files.
 Uploading Your Documents:Video
YouTube/Podcast - Chat Room
|A 15 second video of how to add a file to Sakai. Find more videos for instructors at the Welcome To Sakai Webinar article, or look in the Video Category|
 Uploading large files
Instructors and Students can upload files larger than 100MB to the Drop Box tool via the WebDAV protocol. Instructors can access all student uploads. Students will only be able to access their own files.
If you receive a "Upload failed" or "Upload Forbidden" you may be over your 1GB resource quota. Please contact the CPI for assistance.
- First navigate to the Drop Box tool and select "Upload-Download Multiple Resources"
- Copy the URL presented in Step 1
- Choose your operating system and follow the presented instructions
 Things to consider
- Students may appreciate this student's guide to the Drop Box
- This tool is a less-formal companion of the Assignments and Tests and Quizzes tools.
- Courses cerated after Wednesday September 15, 2010: Participants in the TA or Organizer Role can see the entire Drop Box. Please let the CTLET know if you would like this changed.
- Courses cerated before Wednesday September 15, 2010: Other roles, such as the TA role, cannot see the content of student drop boxes. The Drop Box feature allows only instructors and students to share documents. Please let the CTLET know if you would like this changed.
- A new Drop Box item will automatically go into the folder that you have open when you create the item.
- With the exception of plain text and HTML documents, the Revise option only allows you to revise the information about a Drop Box item, such as its name, description, or copyright information. You cannot revise the contents of a document or file within a Drop Box.
- Whenever you add an item to the Drop Box, you have the option of sending email notification.
- Make sure you know the laws and policies regarding the use of copyrighted material. Information relating to copyright can be found at Brock University's Copyright Information page.
 Related Articles