Instructors Guide to Getting Started
From Information about Isaak, Brock University's Sakai-Based LMS
Instructor's guide to getting started with Brock University's Sakai System: Isaak.
 Creating a Site
At Brock University, the availability of an instructor's class roster is based on information drawn from the most current timetables offered by the Scheduling department of Brock University's Registrar's Office. If you would like to confirm your course assignment, we suggest that you contact the administrative support within your department.
Once a course site has been created in Isaak-Sakai, an instructor can assign to it any rosters of courses for which they are responsible. but class rosters are not assigned to a Isaak-Sakai site automatically.
 Adding Files
Once a course is approved instructors can access their course at https://lms.brocku.ca/ . The first thing most instructors will want to do is add content to it. This is generally done through the Resources tool.
Files can be added to the Resources by choosing to browse for the file on your device, or on desktop computers using a modern web browser, drag files from an Explorer/Finder window into the Isaak-Sakai window.
To add files follow these steps:
- Resources tool on the left.
- Click the "Add" button beside the folder you would like to add the file to (likely the top-most).
- Drag the file you would like to add into the Drop files area OR Select Choose Files.
- Navigate to the file you would like to upload and select open.
- Select "Upload Files Now" once you have located the file.
- Done: You should now see the file in your course resources. You are welcome to click the file to confirm it works or modify it via the "Actions" button.
All modern web browsers support single file uploads through the drag-and-drop interface, most support full folder uploads, such a Google Chrome.
Dragging-and-dropping folders can be a faster and more reliable alterntive to situations where the WebDAV upload process might have previously been used.
For more information please see Working with files.
 Contacting Students
There are a number of ways to contact students through Sakai. By default instructors can make use of the Announcements tool for posting current, time-critical information that will be sent to all site members (including those who join late).
Other tools allow for other method of communication to take place via Sakai. These additional tools can be added as outlined in the Adding more tools section.
- Forums Tool for asynchronous discussions
- Messages Display messages to/from users of a particular site -- Inter-Sakai-E-Mail
- Gradebook allows instructors to return grades securely and privately for all elements of the course.
- Assignments allows instructors to receive and return assignments securely and privately.
Isaak/Sakai is great central location to collaborate on marking and grading with other instructors and TAs.
 Adding more tools
Using the Site Info tool, you can add, edit, or remove the tools on the menubar. To do so, follow the steps below:
- In your site, from the menubar on the left, click Site Info.
- Click Edit Tools from the grey menu across the top.
- Check the boxes next to the tools that you wish to add to your menubar; uncheck the box if you are removing a tool.
- Click Continue at the bottom of the page.
- On the confirmation screen, you will see a list of your site's tools and any changes you've made. If the list is accurate, click Finish.
 Controlling Access
- Site Info For showing modifying site information, adding and removing site participants and managing groups.
 More Information
- Import From Site - How to import content from another course (like one that was converted from WebCT)
 Getting help
Please contact the Centre for Pedagogical Innovation for technical support or pedagogical guidance in using Isaak-Sakai.